What can cause ankle pain?

See an orthopaedist. There are a number of things that can cause pain in the ankles. These are very nonspecific symptoms. I recommend that someone pain pain that is not easily relieved by rest and otc medications be seen by an orthopedic surgeon for a definitive diagnosis. One in your area can be found at www. Aaos. Org.
Depends. There are too many sources of ankle to pain list here. The treatment and the ability to control it would depend on an accurate diagnosis and workup. See a foot and ankle specialist for the right plan.