How can someone have breast cancer in three different areas and what does that mean?

It can happen. Breast cancer typically starts in the breast but it can then spread to other parts of the body. When that happens it is called metastatic breast cancer or stage -4 breast cancer. In such cases multiple sites/organs are affected by breast cancer, typically it involves lungs, bones and liver but it can spread to any of the organs in the body.
Multifocal. Breast cancer that occurs in more than one area is multifocal. Multiple sites of breast cancer may indicate increased risks of cancer in the breast cells and may indicate a need for mastectomy along with chemotherapy.