How does the operation work for a lung transplant?

In brief: Works like old lung
The transplanted lung is placed into the chest and attached to the bronchial tree and the pulmonary artery and veins.
Air enters the new lung and oxygen is extracted into the blood stream just like in the natural lung.

In brief: Works like old lung
Dr. Stuart Flechner
Dr. Stuart Flechner
Dr. Andrew N. De la Torre
Surgery - Transplant
In brief: I'm a liver surgeon
I'm actually a liver surgeon with 10 years experience in liver transplantation.
However patients are transplanted based their severity of illness. Organs are shared over a 250 mile radius. This is a carefully timed process. Once the donor lungs are viewed and deemed usable, the recipient operation to remove the lungs begins.

In brief: I'm a liver surgeon
Dr. Andrew N. De la Torre
Dr. Andrew N. De la Torre
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery