What do you call the cardboard pieces used during dental x rays?

Could be... You could be talking about "bite tabs", which help center a piece of dental film in between your upper and lower teeth for a bite-wing x-ray that dentists use to check for decay between your teeth. Many dentists now use plastic aiming devices that have replaced these bite tabs, and use digital sensors that capture a computerized image rather than film.