What are the problems of using steroids while having fixed orthodontic appliances?

Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Depends

Anabolic or cortico steroids, and why are they being taken, if for inflammatory disease, the usual precautions are in effect, however I have never observed any differences clinically in all of my years of practice.
Osteoblastic/clastic activity may be mitigated, bone density changes may occur, and of course patient would be more prone to infection. But again, never have seen these as a problem.

In brief: Depends

Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. Ronald Achong
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: None

The steroids usually have no effect on the orthodontic appliance.
You may be more prone to infections however.

In brief: None

Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Louis Sterling
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Depends

If you need steroids to treat a disease under the guidance of your md then just keep your mouth extra clean to prevent gum inflamation.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Louis Sterling
Dr. Louis Sterling
Dr. Robert Stoner
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Slowing down

Theoretically, steroids could slow down tooth movement.
But, I have not observed it in 30 years.

In brief: Slowing down

Dr. Robert Stoner
Dr. Robert Stoner
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Steroids bad

The better question is why you are using steriods.
If not for medical reasons, you shoudl stop.

In brief: Steroids bad

Dr. Hilary Baskin
Dr. Hilary Baskin

In brief: Specific meds matter

Please go over your specific questions about steroid use with your orthodontist.
Certain steroids may effect the bone remodeling that must take place with orthodontic tooth movement. This issue would be a serious complication of orthodontic treatment. Take care..

In brief: Specific meds matter

Dr. Marguerite Myers
Dr. Marguerite Myers
Dr. Ronald Achong
Great answer. I agree 100%