Do I have to move my cats if my dad is having a liver transplant?

Dr. Amy Friedman
Surgery - Transplant

In brief: Litter box far away

We worry about the infection toxoplasmosis with cats.
This is transmitted by "oocysts" in their stool. So, please keep your cats indoors (to decrease risk of new infection picked up outdoors), keep them away from food surfaces, and wash hands carefully before food preparation. Your dad should not clean the litter box. This info is supported by the cdc (centers for disease control + prevention).

In brief: Litter box far away

Dr. Amy Friedman
Dr. Amy Friedman
Dr. David Earle
Surgery

In brief: I think so

I do recall cats having the potential to cause infectious disease problems with transplant patients.
Check with the transplant coordinator or surgeon to be sure.

In brief: I think so

Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery