When should I go to an opthalmologist versus optometrist?

Dr. Ron Lord
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery

In brief: MD vs OD

if you are interested in a basic exam and a prescription for glasses or contact lenses I would seek out an OD.
If you are having symptoms outside of a simple refractive error.......ie something other than blurry vision... seek out an MD. However most ODs can determine the need for you to see an MD

In brief: MD vs OD

Dr. Ron Lord
Dr. Ron Lord
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Ophthalmologist

Always better to get your initial exam with an ophthalmologist who has far superior training in eye disease as well as surgery.
Optometrists, irregardless of what they claim, are good at fitting contacts and glasses but are very limited in anything else. Bonus: it is almost always less expensive to see an ophthalmologist yet better.

In brief: Ophthalmologist

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Ilan Cohen
What is your claim that it is cheaper to see and ophthalmologist based on?
Dr. Ilan Cohen
Ophthalmology

In brief: Depends

For regular eye exams, you can visit either so long as you get a comprehensive, dilated eye exam.
If you suspect you have a condition which requires surgical intervention, see and ophthalmologist.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Ilan Cohen
Dr. Ilan Cohen