How do I stop clenching and grinding teeth?

Dr. Mark Venincasa
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: May not happen...

I highly recommend a night guard during sleep.
This will not stop the clenching and grinding; however, it will stop the harmful effects of clenching and grinding. Please see your dentist about getting a night guard.

In brief: May not happen...

Dr. Mark Venincasa
Dr. Mark Venincasa

In brief: Relaxation Therapy

Clenching & grinding is a spilling over of anxiety and had been effectively treated with relaxation therapy and self hypnosis.
Find a dentist or psychologist with experience in that area if you want to learn how to switch the anxiety behavior to one of relaxation. See you dentist in the meantime for a mouthguard to prevent damage to the teeth, TMJ and muscles.

In brief: Relaxation Therapy

Dr. Simon Rosenberg
Dr. Simon Rosenberg
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: A few ideas

A few ideas: Appliance therapy, occlusal treatment, medications, relaxation and behavioral strategies, Sleep hygiene.
Best to be evaluated and treated by TMJ expert. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.

In brief: A few ideas

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Peter Kurzweil