What are some ways to treat TMJ jaw pain?

Have evaluated. The first step would be to see a dentist to find out what the cause is for the TMJ pain. You may get some relief from taking ibuprophen and using a warm compress over the joint to relax the muscles. Therapy usually consists of an occlusal appliance, possible physical therapy, or if extreme possibly surgery.
A Few Ideas. Depends on symptoms, and cause of symptoms. 3 signs of TMJ dysfunction: joint noises, joint pain & limited oral opening. Self treat with soft diet, jaw exercises, massage, heat/cold, OTC pain meds. A splint or physical therapy would be next. Occasionally muscle relaxants, biofeedback. Xrays are done for diagnosis. Surgery usually reserved for serious symptoms not responsive to other treatments.
Sevral treatments. There are several treatments including equilibration, splint therapy, surgery.
Oral Applicance . Although earlier attempts to cure bruxism have ranged from sound alarms, electrical stimulation, psychotherapy, hypnosis, and drugs, we can now recommend simple, effective dental solutions like an oral appliance. Some act like a crutch to rest the jaw joints while others encourage a natural reflex that stops your jaw automatically to protect your teeth and jaw joints.