If I have ibd, can I have a baby?

Dr. Padmavati Garvey

Women who have inflammatory bowel disease, such as ulcerative colitis or chron's disease can have babies.
Some may have worsening of their symptoms during pregnancy, some may not. Proper absorption of nutrients and adequate weight gain are important in these individuals.

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. David Ziring
Pediatrics - Gastroenterology

Yes, you can certainly have a baby.
The best outcomes are for those women who have good control of their IBD during their pregnancy.

Yes, you can certainly have a baby.
Dr. David Ziring
Dr. David Ziring
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

But be sure your ibd is in remission and continue your meds usually for maintenance.
The risk is greater to the fetus if you have a flareup, than the risk of the usual maintenance meds. Discuss with your GI doctor, your ob, and the pediatrician.

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery