Will yoga help with rehabilitation of my hip arthroplasty?

Dr. Donald Hohman Jr
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: It could
but you need to make sure that you are following the precautions that are set forward by your surgeon

In brief: It could
Dr. Donald Hohman Jr
Dr. Donald Hohman Jr
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Careful
I would advise doing conventional physical therapy first before considering yoga.
Also it is crucially important to understand what your post operative precautions are beforedoing any exercise program.This is dependent on the surgeon and type of surgery performed.Many post hipreplacement patients arecautioned not to flex their hip or rotate their hip beyond a certain point. Listen to your surgeon.

In brief: Careful
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: Possibly
Hip dislocation is a risk after this surgery.
Make certain that you follow your surgeon's instructions before attempting certain yoga poses.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Dr. John Ayres
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Yes with limitations
Flexibility is important, but you should avoid certain postions in the immediate postoperative period because your hip may dislocate.
If it was a posterior approach, you should be avoid flexion and internal rotation. If it was an anterior approach, you should avoid extension and external rotation. You should check with your surgeon for his or her preferences.

In brief: Yes with limitations
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine