Will stem cells help with arthritis of the knee?

Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: No

At this point, there is no evidence that stem cells can revert the cartilage cell death that results in arthritis of the knee.
There are cartilage restoring procedures ("filling pot holes") that theoretically uses your own cells to grow cartilage or cartilage like substances, but the function of this cartilage is still inferior to your own native one.

In brief: No

Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. John Ayres
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: No

Arthitis is not simply the lost of cartilage, but also involves the sclerosis (hardening) of the bone under it.
We can clone cartilage cells to make more of them, so we don't need something like stem cells which would do a similar function. We also need a way to reverse the changes in the underlying bone to make it more receptive to holding the cartilage on it. You can't grow grass on concrete.

In brief: No

Dr. John Ayres
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. Robert Alexander
Surgery - Plastics

Use of adult mesenchymal stem-stromal cells (mscs) are currently in clinical trial in us/internationally.
Trend is toward use of fat derived mscs, havested by liposuction, isolated and concentrated in tissue culture. Early reports suggest significant improvement in neurological, autoimmune and organ functions. Combining with platelet concentrates, ortho med mds have shown significant improvement.

Dr. Robert Alexander
Dr. Robert Alexander
Dr. Barry Waldman
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: No

There are no current arthritis treatments that use stem cells.

In brief: No

Dr. Barry Waldman
Dr. Barry Waldman
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: It's Possible

Check out Regenexx.
Com. The have the single largest registry in the country of patients with degenerative joint disease that have used their stem cell procedures with good outcomes. Obviously not everyone gets better, but a majority have found the ability to forego knee surgery.

In brief: It's Possible

Check out Regenexx.
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Mark Johnson
Aesthetic Medicine

I respectfully disagree.
I know from my own clinical experience that it is successful in a large number of patients. It is still evolving as to patient selection and optimization of treatment. Dr. Chris centeno has provided the scientific community with a rather large volume of evidence that they work clinically. Hat's off to you, dr. Centeno!

I respectfully disagree.
Dr. Mark Johnson
Dr. Mark Johnson
Dr. Adam Smith