Will my knee swell if I have torn a knee ligament?

Dr. John Ayres
Orthopedic Surgery
Ligament injuries are classified as grade 1 (sprain), grade 2 (partial tear), or grade 3 (complete tear).
The greater the severity, the greater the swelling. If it is a sprain, it may not swell right away. If it is a significant injury to a ligament inside your knee, e.g. The ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), it will bleed and the knee to swell right. This should be checked out by a physician.

Dr. John Ayres
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: Usually
Swelling or an effusion, is a non-specific reaction to an acute or recurrent inflammatory event within the knee joint.
While it sometimes correlates to an acute meniscus or ligamentous injury, it can also be a presenting sign of an injury to the articular cartilage or even an arthritic flare.

In brief: Usually
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Dr. Christopher Hajnik