Will I need to take antibiotics after having a hip replacement?

Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
Most surgeons follow a protocol of IV antibiotics for 24 hrs after the surgery.
This is evidenced-based. Antibiotics are usually advised for other post-op procedures as well. I advise patients with a joint replacement to take prophylactic antibiotics before any procedure (i.e. Dental cleaning, colonoscopy, urologic work) that can potentially send bacteria into the bloodstream.

Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Dr. John Ayres
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Yes.
After a joint replacement, you will need to take antibiotics before any dental or GI (gasttrointestinal) procedures for the rest of your life.
Bacteria can enter your blood stream during these types of procedures and lead to unwanted infection of your implant. Guidelines are posted on the web site for the american academy of orthopedic surgeons and american dental association.

In brief: Yes.
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine