Is titanium the best material for a hip replacement?

Yes. Studies of hip replacements over the last 30 years have shown that titanium is one of the best materials to use for patients.
No. Bone loves titanium, but its wrong to think that any one metal is "best". Titanium is a soft metal and bone can grow into titanium cementless-type porous ingrowth implants very effectivley making fixation secure. Being soft makes it a poor bearing surface for metal-on-metal implants which use harder cobalt chrome alloys. Different metals have different properties, but no one metal is "best".