How long after I have weaned off Valium will i be able to drink?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Drinking & Valium

I agree with my colleague that it can take a long time -- weeks, sometimes -- to fully process valium.
I'm concerned about why it was prescribed for you in the first place? Some may use this medicine to cover for alcohol withdrawal. If you've been through alcohol withdrawal, it's unwise to drink alcohol at all now. Please ask your own doctor this question; s/he knows you better than we do.

In brief: Drinking & Valium

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Tariq Halim

In brief: Benzo and Boos

The half life, or time it takes for 1/2 of the drug to be cleaned up by your body (mainly your liver for diazepam), is long and quite variable.
It is lipophilic and likes to remain in fat cells. Therefore, it can stay in your system for 3 days or up to a week (for some of the metabolites). It depends on why you were using it to when you can restart drinking.

In brief: Benzo and Boos

Dr. Tariq Halim
Dr. Tariq Halim
Dr. William Forsythe