My infant has chest congestion I was told by a doctor to use a bulb syringe and saline, but nothing comes our her nose, am I doing something wrong?

Just watch. Nasal bulb suction is not really of help for chest congestion. Watch for heavy breathing, fever, and feeding difficulties which require medical attention.
? age? The first months are troubled by narrow nasal passages & exposure to dust, fragrences, smoke & other irritants. Baby tries to flush these out of the nose with mucous but this often ends as congestion & produces rattling with breathing. The best rx is washing out the nose with copious amounts of saline & suctioning the remainder. Eliminate irritants from babies environment & this will happen less.
Bulb not for chest. Use a cool mist humidifier. Keep head end elevated. No smoking around him at all.