My infant has chest congestion I was told by a doctor to use a bulb syringe and saline, but nothing comes our her nose, am I doing something wrong?

Just watch. Nasal bulb suction is not really of help for chest congestion. Watch for heavy breathing, fever, and feeding difficulties which require medical attention.
?age? The first months are troubled by narrow nasal passages & exposure to dust, fragrences, smoke & other irritants.Baby tries to flush these out of the nose with mucous but this often ends as congestion & produces rattling with breathing. The best rx is washing out the nose with copious amounts of saline & suctioning the remainder. Eliminate irritants from babies environment & this will happen less.
Bulb not for chest. Use a cool mist humidifier.keep head end elevated.no smoking around him at all.