If I have an ACL tear, will I ever be able to play competitive football again?

Yes. One large study showed that nfl football players returned to play at an average of 11 months after surgery for acl reconstruction. The level of performance was not has high but that varied according to position, with quarterback having the highest level of performance compared to pre-injury.
It depends. If you have an ACL tear you should have it reconstructed or avoid playing contact sports. Even with a good ACL brace, the knee is prone to instability wtih pivoting and cutting. When this occurs the knee subluxes and the meniscus can be torn increasing the risk of arthritis later on. If the ACL is reconstructed, the knee will never be the same as it was, but you can play with less risk.