I'm getting an arthroscopy to repair possible torn meniscus, how long will I need to wait until I can exercise?

Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: Depends
If your meniscus is amenable to repair, you will usually be non-weight bearing for 4-6 wks.
Early therapy will focus on range of motion. Follow your surgeon's instructions.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Dr. Stuart Springer
Often you can start rehab in 10 days to two weeks first focusing on range of motion, then strenghthening, conditioning and stamina training.
Dr. John Ayres
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: It depends.
After meniscal repair, you need to be nonweight bearing for 6 weeks, then gradually increase weight bearing as tolerated.
You'll particfipate in a supervised rehab program for the first 3 months after surgery. After 12 weeks you can do low impact exercises. If you just have a simple partial meniscectomy (debridement), you should be able to return to activities in 10 to 14 days.

In brief: It depends.
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine