I think i've had an ACL injury for about 10 weeks, can I still get it repaired or am I too late?

Dr. Amir Khan
Sports Medicine
In brief: Yes & no
Absolutely yes! you can have it reconstructed and its not too late.
No! you cannot have it repaired since repair refers to suturing the torn ends together and that does not work. Acl is a rope in your knee and once it tears you need to get a new rope. This will either come from somewhere in your body or a cadaver. Synthetic replacements have not been successful.

In brief: Yes & no
Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Not too late.
It should not be a problem to have your ACL surgically reconstructed after 10 weeks.
See an orthopedic sports medicine knee specialist who can discuss a plan for you.

In brief: Not too late.
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Barry Waldman
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
There is no real time limit for having an ACL reconstructed.
Waiting years can result in arthritis.

Waiting years can result in arthritis.
Dr. Barry Waldman
Dr. Barry Waldman
Dr. John Ayres
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Its not too late.
Its not too late to have it repaired.
Studies have shown that those who have surgery right away are more prone to problems with stiffness and scar formation, so most surgeons like to wait until the swelling and inflammation that occurs right after the injury is gone. Over years the other stabilizers of the knee, like the capsule and other ligaments, stretch out, but at 10 weeks you should be okay.

In brief: Its not too late.
Its not too late to have it repaired.
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine