I recently had surgery on my left knee for a meniscus tear. They removed approximately 33% of the cartilage, will I be able to run still?

Dr. John Ayres
Orthopedic Surgery
You should be able to run with minimal risk of accelerating any arthritic problems in your knee.

Dr. John Ayres
Dr. John Ayres
2 comments
Dr. Abdul Ahmed
Some tears are repairable. Some have to be removed to prevent locking of the knee. You should be abl
Dr. Brian Badman
The meniscus functions as a load bearing shock absorber to the knee. Assuming your tear was medial this will accelerate any underlying degenerative condition and can predispose you to early arthritic involvement. Most literature out there would support this statement so disagree with Dr. Ayres on this regard. There are many alternatives to running as this long term is not going to be the best exercise for your knee. We were given a brain so we didn't have to outrun the dinasours. We are not meant for running. Would advise alternative cardio activities for longterm health of your knee such as swimming or biking.
Dr. Barry Waldman
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
Most people can return to normal exercise after a partial menisectomy.

Dr. Barry Waldman
Dr. Barry Waldman
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery