I recently bailed off a moped and tried to land on my feet and now the lateral portion of my knee is in pain, do you think I will need to have a joint replacement?

Dr. Barry Waldman
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

Mcl tears rarely need surgery.

Mcl tears rarely need surgery.
Dr. Barry Waldman
Dr. Barry Waldman
Dr. John Ayres
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: It depends.

You may just have a knee contusion, but a high energy landing like that can cause a lateral tibia plateau fracture or lateral meniscus tear. These may not lead to a joint replacement, but they can require other types of surgeries.
If its been a few weeks and you're still symptoamtic, you should probably have the knee evaluated by a trained professional and get a set of x-rays and possbily an mri.

In brief: It depends.

Dr. John Ayres
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. Marsha Davis