I have lbs and have a lot of mucus in the stool. I am constipated most of the time. What should I do?

Dr. Charles Cattano
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Certain about IBS?

You may be describing c-ibs (constipation-variant ibs).
A coating of mucus (a colon lubricant) when present in large volume may signal not only problems with colon spasm (ie. Irritable bowel syndrome), but also partial obstruction, infection, & even sloughed colon lining due to a variety of diseases. Are the mucus & constipation chronic or new phenomena & how comfortable r u with theibs diagnosis?

In brief: Certain about IBS?

Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Bac Nguyen

In brief: Constipation of IBS

Ibs is subcategorized as constipation-predominant, diarrhea-predominant, or mixed.
Ibs is unfortunate quite common and when severe it can be debilitating to some. There are few options for treating ibs, and more medications are on the way. Currently, Amitiza (lubiprostone) is approved to treat constipation-predominant ibs and works decently well. I recommend consulting doc for eval/treatment. Good luck.

In brief: Constipation of IBS

Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: See GI specialist

You should see a GI specialist for evaluation and treatment of your ibs.

In brief: See GI specialist

Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Peter Kurzweil