How long does a total knee arthroplasty take to do?

Dr. Andrew Wickline
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: About an hour
In my practice the actual surgery takes approx 62 minutes for a man and 54 min for a woman of average weight and height without excessive deformity etc.
The anesthesia and prepping and draping generally takes 40 minutes so total time in operating room about 1 hr and 40 minutes. It varies from surgeon to surgeon. I do over 500/yr. Find someone u like, who performs procedure regularly.

In brief: About an hour
Dr. Andrew Wickline
Dr. Andrew Wickline
Dr. Brian Badman
The average time is about 45-90 minutes. A surgeon that brags or boasts about taking less time or being fast may also be cutting corners. Proficiency is one thing but taking time to make the proper cuts and assuring the knee is balanced is utmost importance for a good outcome. I would not focus on the time of the procedure unless the surgeon tells you their average is over 2-3 hours as this greatly increases your risk of infection for a primary (not revision) joint replacement. Be aware that it takes 12-15 minutes for the cement to harden so surgical times under 30 minutes always makes me question the job done in between.
Dr. Scott m Smith
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: 30" to 90"
The amount of time required to do a knee replacement is not the most important factor. Accuracy of alignment and position of the components and care of the soft tissues are the important prognostic factors.
If your surgeon can do the job accurately, then timing is important. 40-60 minutes is usual time for experienced surgeons.

In brief: 30" to 90"
Dr. Scott m Smith
Dr. Scott m Smith
Dr. James Bruckner
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: 50-90 min
Depending on the experience of the surgeon, and his or her team. The surgery is only part of the equation.
In general, from the time you leave your family till they see you again is about 3 hours.

In brief: 50-90 min
Dr. James Bruckner
Dr. James Bruckner
Dr. Barry Waldman
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: 1-3 hours
Actual surgery takes one to three hours depending on the experience of the surgeon.

In brief: 1-3 hours
Dr. Barry Waldman
Dr. Barry Waldman
Dr. John Richards
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: 1.5 hours
Heavy patients or those with severe deformities.

In brief: 1.5 hours
Dr. John Richards
Dr. John Richards
Dr. John Ayres
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: 1 hours
A typical knee replacement takes 1 to 1.
5 hours. Larger patients with more deformity can add to that time. If computer assisted navigation is used, this will also add to the length of the surgery.

In brief: 1 hours
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. Marsha Davis