How do you know if you have infected knee after having a partial knee replacement?

Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Get to your surgeon
The clinical findings that are concerning for an infected knee are: 1.
Redness/pinkness around the incision or knee. 2. Increased swelling around knee 3. Increased pain with bending or weight bearing 4. Fever, chills, lethargy, loss of appetite 5. A knee draining fluid from the incision or a new hole 6. Blood tests with elevated wbc, crp, esr. See your surgeon with any concern asap, don't wait!

In brief: Get to your surgeon
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Dr. John Ayres
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: It still hurts.
Surgical site infections affect 1% of knees but the number is increasing.
Mrsa infections are especially worrisome. A knee may be hot, red, and draining fluid, but sometimes unexplained but persistent pain and swelling are the only sign of infection. Work up includes aspirating the knee and sending the fluid to the lab, as well as checking your "sed rate" and "crp" which can be high if infected.

In brief: It still hurts.
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. Robert Cusick
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: Unlikely
After any knee reconstruction surgery, you should expect your knee to be swollen, painful, red, and hot.
This is typically the inflammatory response after a surgery. Less than 1% of the time, this is due to infection. I advise my patients to aggressively ice and elevate their limbs for 1-2 days, then decide if swelling continues. After 24 hours, contact your surgeon.

In brief: Unlikely
Dr. Robert Cusick
Dr. Robert Cusick
Dr. Peter Kurzweil