Is it possible for plaque to break away from the teeth/tooth?

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Terminology

Dental plaque is composed of bacteria and food debris.
It is soft, sticky, and easily removed w toothbrush and dental floss or water pik. If calcium from your saliva accumulates in the plaque on the teeth, it hardens into tarter (what dentists cal calculus). Gum damaging tarter usually needs to be removed professionally, it won't fall off on its own. Please see your dentist.

In brief: Terminology

Dr. Susan Hollinsworth
I agree but sometimes a calculus(hardened plaque) chunk can come off with a pick or even your fingernail if it is large enough and soft enough to get under it. This doesn't happen very often, but I know many people who try to pick it off.Sometimes they can get a little chunk of it, but a dentist and/or hygienist needs to remove the bulk of it,especially under the gum.

It is possible and desirable! that's the main goal of brushing and flossing.
You want to remove plaque before it hardens and turns into tartar.

Dr. Robert Mokbel
Dentistry

In brief: Very Rarely

Dental plaque is by nature a thin sticky film that covers the surfaces of the teeth, it hardens in 24 hours and then it becomes tarter ( calculus) , it is possible for a small piece of tarter to chip away, it is best if you get everything removed by a heath care professional.

In brief: Very Rarely

Dr. Ronald Achong
Great answer. I agree 100%
Dr. SCOTT HARWOOD
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

Plaque deposits can break off of the teeth.
However, waiting for that to happen is not as wise as going to the dentist for a good cleaning.

Dr. Jack Hinkle