Having ACL reconstruction surgery soon. How soon after do you think I can begin working out my upper body?

Dr. Theodore Shybut
Sports Medicine

In brief: 24 Hours

Your surgically reconstructed knee should take priority.
As mentioned, adhere to your surgeon's rehab protocol. Avoid working out to a sweat in the first 24 hours while the wound is epithelializing. Finally, i believe you should be using crutches until you can walk without a limp (i.e. Don't "practice" walking with a limp), which can be a challenge in a gym setting. Otherwise, have at it.

In brief: 24 Hours

Dr. Theodore Shybut
Dr. Theodore Shybut
Dr. Robert Klitzman
I usually see my patients for a wound check 5 days after an ACL reconstruction. I have no problem with them doing upper body lifting after that visit as long as they keep the surgical leg uninvolved.
Dr. Scott m Smith
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: Now

Acl surgery should not prevent you from continuing your program for your upper extremities.
Closed chain quadriceps exercises or of great importance to successful ACL repair. These exercises should be done prior to reconstruction to help with range, strength, and reduction of swelling.

In brief: Now

Dr. Scott m Smith
Dr. Scott m Smith
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Quickly

You can start upper body workouts almost immediately after your acl surgery.
Its just dependent on how much pain you are having after the surgery and your overall mobility to perform the exercises without stressing your knee.

In brief: Quickly

Dr. Gregory Harvey
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Dr. John Richards
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: Right away

As soon as you feel like it.

In brief: Right away

As soon as you feel like it.
Dr. John Richards
Dr. John Richards
Dr. Robert Lupo
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: 24 hours but

Give yourself a week off .
Your going to be sore, taking some pain meds, and need to focus on your knee. It will be plenty in the first week. Keep your knee away from any dirty staph lockerooms till healed. The worse would be an infection or a fall injuring your repair.

In brief: 24 hours but

Give yourself a week off .
Dr. Robert Lupo
Dr. Robert Lupo
Dr. John Ayres
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Right away

You can begin working out your upper extremity right away.
You will have to follow your surgeon's postoperative rehab protocol for your operated knee, but you can still work your other leg on a stationary bicycle to avoid any deconditioning on your un-operated side.

In brief: Right away

Dr. John Ayres
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery