What blood type is administered to those that have sickle cell anemia?

Type-specific. Type specific blood is given. In those patients who require blood transfusions very frequently, the providers often will expand the blood typing to include a number of addition blood typing systems. We call this an expanded phenotyping of blood.
Transfusions for SS. Blood transfusions are sometimes an essential part of treatment and prevention in sickle cell (ss) disease. The rules regarding what blood type to give are the same for those not affected by ss, however, it is very important to use a blood bank well-versed with ss patients. Ss patients can generate antibodies to rare red blood cell proteins, matching of which is essential for long-term management.