Is a crown always required after root canal treatment?

No. A crown is not always required after a root canal. After a root canal, a tooth becomes more brittle and more likely to break. A crown helps prevent the tooth from breaking. If you decide not to get a crown placed on the tooth then you are taking a chance of losing that tooth although you spent the time and money doing the root canal. Take your dentist's advise.
Depends. If a molar or chewing tooth needs a root canal because of extensive decay or large filling then it should always be crowned. If any tooth that gets a root canal has sufficient supporting tooth structure a crown may not be needed. Your dentist will be able to determine what is best for any tooth that gets a root canal.
Most of the time. The root canal procedure removes the tooth's primary source of nutrition and moisture, the pulp. As a result posterior teeth generally require a crown in most cases to help reinforce the tooth. Sometimes a very conservative access hole can be made to treat front teeth, a crown may not be necessary.
No. It is dependent upon how much tooth structure remains after removal of tooth decay and the root canal procedure. Molar or back teeth may require crown placement as chewing forces can cause repeated stress to the tooth structure resulting in fracture. If one or more walls of the tooth have been removed then a crown may be indicated. Consult your dentist for the optimum long term treatment options.