How long are the fixation screws supposed to be in after having bunion removal surgery?

In brief: Can Stay

Internal fixation screws can stay in place indefinitely assuming they are not causing any problems.
Rarely if there is pain from the hardware the screws can be removed.

In brief: Can Stay

Dr. Angelo Mitsos
Dr. Angelo Mitsos

In brief: Depends

I place my fixation screws fairly deep so they are not prominent through the skin.
Then, the only reason to remove them is if there is discomfort after the bone they are fixating has healed. Since they don't flex the same as bone, occasionally there can be a vague aching at the screw site which resolves when they are removed. Conversely, if they don't hurt, leave them alone.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Bradly Shollenberger
Dr. Bradly Shollenberger
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: It depends

Some may not have to be removed at all.

In brief: It depends

Some may not have to be removed at all.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Libby Putnam
Podiatry

In brief: It varies.

Some screws can stay in your body forever without issue.
Some screws have large enough heads that after they've done their job and your bone has healed, they should be taken out so they do not irritate the surrounding skin and tendons. This is usually several months after surgery.

In brief: It varies.

Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine