Is there any alternative to propofol for plastic surgery due to platelet dysfunction with propofol?

Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Anesthesia Choices?

Yes, there are many alternatives to propofol.
Propofol is an excellent medication used for many patients; however, other medications such as benzodiazepines ( for example versed) and others are available with equal efficacy. Of course, each medication has its pros/cons and your anesthesiologist will be your best resource when it comes to more specifics. Best wishes.

In brief: Anesthesia Choices?

Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Many alternatives

Ask to speak with the anesthesiologist or anesthetist working with your surgeon to discuss all the options.
Certainly they should be able to work out an alternative.

In brief: Many alternatives

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Christopher Khorsandi
Surgery - Plastics

Propofol is a relatively new anesthetic, however prior to its invention, anesthesia was perform safely using sedatives and anesthetic gas.
Thus all anesthesiologists are trained to perform anesthesia using a variety of methods not just with propofol.

Dr. Christopher Khorsandi
Dr. Christopher Khorsandi
Dr. Gary Lawson
Anesthesiology

In brief: Anesthesia

Don't ask your surgeon about anesthetic techniques.
Just as you shouldn't consult your anaesthesiologist about surgical technique.

In brief: Anesthesia

Dr. Gary Lawson
Dr. Gary Lawson
Dr. Eugene Sidoti
Surgery - Plastics

Although I am unaware of this reaction to propfol, there are other anesthetic agents that can be used in its place for breast augmentation surgery.
Speak to your plastic surgeon and/or the anesthesiologist about your options.

Dr. Eugene Sidoti
Dr. Eugene Sidoti
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Anesthesiology

In brief: Propofol is

A safe medication when used appropriately.
I am unaware of issues with platelet dysfunction. We use it commonly in plastic surgery.

In brief: Propofol is

Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Dr. Julian Goldman
Anesthesiology

In brief: Propofol is optional

Propofol is well-suited to provide sedation for short procedures because its effects quickly dissipate.
It is usually used in combination with a narcotic (e.g. Fentanyl) to provide analgesia. You don't "need" propofol. Not all patients need or want sedation as long as they are not in pain. Other medications (e.g. Midazolam) can be be used to reduce anxiety and provide sedation.

In brief: Propofol is optional

Dr. Julian Goldman
Dr. Julian Goldman
Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Various Alternatives

There are many ways to have anesthesia without propofol.
These details can be worked out by your plastic surgeon, and anesthesiologist. Best to go to a board certified plastic surgeon. Together you will come up with a plan.

In brief: Various Alternatives

Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Dr. Mark Newman
Anesthesiology

In brief: Anesthesia options

Depending on the procedure you are having done there may be more options than just propofol.
Much will depend on the facility where your are having the procedure done. I would request to speak to the providing anesthesiologist to inquire about available equipment/monitoring and anesthetic options before proceeding.

In brief: Anesthesia options

Dr. Mark Newman
Dr. Mark Newman