How do I tell if I have dry eyes or allergic conjunctivitis?

Dry eye vs allergy. Dry eye typically feels scratchy, irritated, like something is in your eye, light sensitive. Allergies in the eye typically causes itchiness in the eye.
Examination. Both conditions can cause the eyes to feel irritated. Allergies frequently have itching. Both can cause a goopy tear. Dry eye disease can make allergic conjunctivitis worse. They look very different and distinct on exam. Get an eye exam to get the correct diagnosis-- treatments are very different.