Can I fly shortly after an knee reconstruction?

Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Orthopedic Surgery

Best to wait til the swelling has mostly resolved.
You should take blood thinners, wear a compression stocking, get up several times and walk the isle, and move your ankle up and down a lot during the flight if its in the first 6 weeks after surgery.

Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Dr. Robert Meislin
Sports Medicine

In brief: Knee surgery

I have my patients hold off from flying for at least 4 weeks following knee surgery.
If it is an emergency that you fly speak to your surgeon about the possibility of a blood thinner that can be self injected before flying.

In brief: Knee surgery

Dr. Robert Meislin
Dr. Robert Meislin
Dr. John Ayres
Orthopedic Surgery

Most doctors like you to wait 4-6 weeks after surgery before flying.
Patients with a knee replacement are at increased risk for blood clots. Flying in a plane is also a risk for blood clots, with or without recnet knee surgery. If you do fly, up and move around a it, don't just sit there. Also, ask you doctor about taking a mild blood thinner if your surgery has been relatively recent.

Dr. John Ayres
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine