Can I do any weight bearing exercises in while in recovery from a rotator cuff repair?

Dr. John Ayres
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: It depends.

Not all tears are the same size and not all repairs heal att eh same speed.
If you have a partial thickness or small full thickness tear you can do some strengthening with light weights, but a full thickness tear, especially a moderate to large repair needs to be protected. Your surgeon should be the one to determine whether you are ready to do weight bearing exercises or not.

In brief: It depends.

Dr. John Ayres
Dr. John Ayres
Dr. Chittur Ananthakrishnan
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: No

Rotator cuff repair implies repair of soft tissue like tendons/muscle attachments and it would unduly stress the repair if you did any weight bearing exercises.
It is generally recommended that you wait about 12 weeks before stressing the repair.

In brief: No

Dr. Chittur Ananthakrishnan
Dr. Chittur Ananthakrishnan
Dr. Brian Badman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Not recommended

I would not advise weight bearing exercises for at least 10 weeks.
I would want to know what you exactly mean but no resistance or "chicken winging" shoulder for at least first 6 weeks. Can start light isometrics (pushing against object) at 7-8 weeks. Strengthening usually not begun till 12 weeks which is typical length of bone scarring to tendon.

In brief: Not recommended

Dr. Brian Badman
Dr. Brian Badman
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine