Should I go to a family doctor or a dermatologist for foot rash?

6 of 1. Certainly, a family doctor is qualified to diagnose and treat common skin problems. If you have a simple athlete's foot, for instance, your family doctor can certainly treat this. Dermatologists, though, are the true experts when it comes to anything involving the skin. If you can't get a quick appt with your family doc, see a dermatologist. You can also see a podiatrist.