Should I screen my children for ovarian cancer genes since it seems to be so deadly? There is no history in my family.

Dr. Golder Wilson
Clinical Genetics
In brief: No
There is no simple screen for ovarian cancer susceptibility beyond the breast-ovarian cancer gene (brca) testing that costs $2600-3300.
Only families with cases of ovarian or early onset (<45) breast cancer should consider this testing.

In brief: No
Dr. Golder Wilson
Dr. Golder Wilson
What will you do with the results. In consultation with your doctor, you should think it through as to what to course action will you take based on various possible results of the tests.
Dr. Michael Hulse
Gynecology
In brief: No
Testing for cancer genes is a very important part of cancer risk assessment and prevention.
Family history is the tool that is used to determine if someone needs testing. If their is no family history then you do not need to test.

In brief: No
Dr. Michael Hulse
Dr. Michael Hulse
Dr. Kenneth Lee
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Cancer screening
Even though deadly- without a family history - screening has not been proven to be beneficial either from a survival or economical standpoint.
Definitely there are ovarian cancers that are part of the genetically predisposed (brca etc), but these are associated with definitive family involvement. Age and hormone exposure are also related to increased risk.

In brief: Cancer screening
Dr. Kenneth Lee
Dr. Kenneth Lee
Dr. Shontae Buffington