My sister has trisomy 18. What is the likelihood that if I have children that one of them will have it?

Dr. Karl Muench
Clinical Genetics

In brief: Almost zero

Trisomy 18 (edwards syndrome) is caused by the spontaneous, accidental inclusion of an extra chromosome #18 in the zygote for a total of three.
Your sister's trisomy 18 has no effect on your reproductive risk. Your risk to have a trisomy 18 child is the background incidence of 1/6000 live births.

In brief: Almost zero

Dr. Karl Muench
Dr. Karl Muench

In brief: Genetics consult

The genenics will assess all your genealogical tree, evaluate your and your husband's blood for chromosomal analysis and calculate the possibilities of your next child of having trisomy 18.

In brief: Genetics consult

Dr. Ecaterina Sartina
Dr. Ecaterina Sartina
Dr. Steven Seres