My maternal grandmother had ovarian cancer. What is my chance (statistically) of getting ovarian cancer, too?

Dr. Karl Muench
Clinical Genetics

In brief: Probably low.

Unless your grandmother had ovarian cancer at a young age, or had both ovarian and breast cancer, or other close relatives of you and your grandmother have or had ovarian or breast cancer, your risk for ovarian cancer approaches the background statistical risk in your population.

In brief: Probably low.

Dr. Karl Muench
Dr. Karl Muench
Dr. Morton Levitt
Pathology

In brief: Ovarian Cancer Risk

In some cases, your risk may be as high as 45%.
You should consult your gynecologist and consider testing for the presence of the brca 1 and 2 genes, which afford the highest risk. In general, your lifetime risk of developing ovarian cancer with a positive family history is 2-3 x that of the general population.

In brief: Ovarian Cancer Risk

Dr. Morton Levitt
Dr. Morton Levitt
Dr. Adam Smith