I had an abscessed wisdom tooth and was prescribed antibiotics, clindamycin 300 mg. I finished my antibiotic 2 weeks ago. Does it need pulled?

Dr. Media Najafi
Dentistry

The cause of abscess is the wisdom tooth.
Antibiotics removes infection caused by the presence of the tooth. Usually in matter of weeks or months the infection comes back. See your dentist for follow up and possible extraction.

Dr. Media Najafi
Dr. Media Najafi
Dr. Ronald Achong
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Probably

If the tooth was abscessed then it probably will be abscessed in the future.
You should consider having the wisdom tooth removed. Consult with an oral surgeon or your dentist.

In brief: Probably

Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Ankush Bansal

In brief: Yes!

It should already have been pulled.
The antibiotic was prescribed to control the infection, not cure it in this case. The infection won't ever go away if there is an abscess. It may actually spread. Go to the dentist asap to get the tooth pulled. You'll need to continue on antibiotics afterwards as well to kill off the remaining infection and any spread to the gums or buccal mucosa.

In brief: Yes!

It should already have been pulled.
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine