Is chronic myelogenous leukemia classified as a genetic abnormality or a genetic disorder?

Dr. Michael Thompson
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Yes.

CML = genetic abnormality or a genetic disorder? I'm not sure what the difference is, but i'll try to extend what i think you are asking.
CML is an acquired genetic abnormality. It is not (generally) an inheritied genetic trait/disorder.

In brief: Yes.

Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Risk factors include older age and exposure to radiation, usually heavy, about 10 years before. There is an abnormal chromosome which is acquired, not inherited.
Dr. Agos Luca
Pathology

In brief: Not sure...

I'm not sure if there is a difference.
.. CML is a type of leukemia caused by a genetic abnormalty, namely a translocation between chromosomes 9 and 22 resulting in the philadelphia chromosome.

In brief: Not sure...

I'm not sure if there is a difference.
Dr. Agos Luca
Dr. Agos Luca
Dr. Marsha Davis