I had a chest cold five weeks ago. I have asthma . Cough is worse, low fever and very painful under left breast coughing and at rest. Bronchitis?

Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Acute bronchitis...

You likely have acute bronchitis due to either a bacterial or viral infection.
You also may be having some related bronchospasm contributing to the cough. See your doctor to determine the best treatment. If you are having increased shortness of breath, go to the er. If you smoke, you need to quit to decrease airway inflammation.

In brief: Acute bronchitis...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
3 comments
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Unilateral chest pain in this situation should also raise the possibility of pleurisy.
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Thanks, Dr. Machtinger, agree!
Dr. Jeffrey Rosch
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Needs evaluated NOW

Could be pneumonia, pleurisy, pulled muscle from coughing or multiple other conditions.
You need to see your pcp or urgent care.

In brief: Needs evaluated NOW

Dr. Jeffrey Rosch
Dr. Jeffrey Rosch
Dr. Jonathan Jassey