If I have hnpcc, does this mean my children will as well?

Amanda Xi
General Practice
In brief: 50% chance
Hnpcc or lynch syndrome is passed on in an autosomal dominant fashion -- this means that your children have a 50% chance of inheriting the defective gene causing the syndrome.

In brief: 50% chance
Amanda Xi
Amanda Xi
Answer assisted by Amanda Xi, Medical Student
In brief: 50% chance
In hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer (HNPCC), cancer RISK has an autosomal dominant pattern meaning one inherited copy of the altered gene in each cell is sufficient to increase cancer risk.
Any child you have has a 50% chance of inheriting the HNPCC gene. People with HNPCC inherit an increased risk of cancer, not the disease itself, not everyone who inherits the gene will develop cancer.

In brief: 50% chance
Dr. Adrienne Classen
Dr. Adrienne Classen
Dr. Vicken Poochikian