If I have gist cancer, should I talk to a genetic counselor to see if I might be a carrier for a potential gene?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Not necessary.
As you probably know, gist tumors are very rare tumors.
They typically occur in a sporadic fashion, with only very rare descriptions in the medical literature of familial predispositions.

In brief: Not necessary.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Paul Cohen
If you are family planning then a Geneticist's opinion would be important for screening purposes.
Dr. Morton Levitt
Pathology
In brief: GIST cancers
Gist cancers are relatively rare to begin with; a small minority are apparently familial, and a smaller fraction of those are related to identifiable genetic abnormalities, so, if you are concerned about passing it on to the children and/ or other family members might be at risk, it is worth consulting a generic counsellor.

In brief: GIST cancers
Dr. Morton Levitt
Dr. Morton Levitt
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery