I found out i was pregnant at 6 weeks. I drank beer almost daily up until that point, what are the chances of my baby having fetal alcohol syndrome?

Dr. Mary Esther Carlin
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral
In brief: Possibly
Exposure to alcohol is most harmful during the first 6-12 weeks of pregnancy when organs are developing.
Stop drinking immediately and get prenatal care. Tell your obstetrician and monitor fetal growth carefully. Also examine the baby after birth for any findings consistent with prenatal exposire to alcohol. Some alcohol effects may not be detectable in infancy but show up as the child grows.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Mary Esther Carlin
Dr. Mary Esther Carlin
Dr. James Goodspeed
In brief: Alcohol, pregnancy
If you stop drinking now, the chances of fetal alcohol syndrome (fas) are very low.
Nobody knows how much alcohol causes FAS . I would recommend you talk to your doctor.

In brief: Alcohol, pregnancy
Dr. James Goodspeed
Dr. James Goodspeed
Dr. Mohammed Younus
In brief: Not known
Fetal alcohol syndrome (fas)is seen more commonly with regular drinking during pregnancy.
But a lesser intensity disorder fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (fasd)with less intensity of consequences is seen in lower degree of alcohol consption during pregnancy. Not all women who drink during pregnancy transmit FAS or fasd to their infants. It is rather unpredictable on individual basis.

In brief: Not known
Dr. Mohammed Younus
Dr. Mohammed Younus
Dr. Devin Namaky
In brief: Possible.
It depends how much you drank.
Fetal alcohol syndrome is more associated with binge drinking, but even lower amounts of alcohol have adverse effects on the fetus and can be as mild as a lower iq in childhood. No amount can be considered safe. Can't give you an exact number. Fetal alcohol is the number one preventable cause of mental retardation.

In brief: Possible.
It depends how much you drank.
Dr. Devin Namaky
Dr. Devin Namaky
Dr. Adam Levy