How much of my families medical history is needed before I seek out genetic counseling?

Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: As Much as Possible
The more information the better and easier for the specialist to focus upon a diagnosis.

In brief: As Much as Possible
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Anna-Kaisa Niemi
Clinical Genetics
In brief: The more the better
Genetic counseling is more accurate the more information there is about family.
However, counselors and clinical geneticists are used to situations where not much is known about family due to e.g. Adoption, not being in touch with family, or family not discussing health matters. In that case counselor/geneticist can help you understand risks based on what is known and your physical exam/health.

In brief: The more the better
Dr. Anna-Kaisa Niemi
Dr. Anna-Kaisa Niemi