I am a survivor of breast cancer and my mother died of ovarian cancer. I have been experiencing a lot of bloating, constipation and weight gain. What should I do?

In brief: Abdominal exam first

The obvious concern is to first rule out an ovarian cancer- with a good gyn and abdominal exam, ct, and ca-125 tumor marker.
With personal history of breast cancer before 38 and mother with ovarian, brca testing should be done. Treatments options will follow from there and may include removal of ovaries and uterus, prophylactic mastectomy and/or close surveillance..

In brief: Abdominal exam first

Dr. Benjamin Kim
Dr. Benjamin Kim
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: BRCA Testing

Based on your personal & family history, you certainly qualify for brca testing, a simple blood test to determine if you have a mutation associated w/breast & ovarian ca.
If so, consideration should be given for having "prophylactic" ovary removal (oophorectomy) & mastectomy to prevent ovarian or (another) breast ca. Please discuss w/your oncologist or a genetic counselor.

In brief: BRCA Testing

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. John Geisler
Gynecology - Oncology

In brief: Ovarian cancer

You should be seen by a gyn oncologist to have a prophylactic tah-bso at your age and with your personal/family history unless you are not done having children.

In brief: Ovarian cancer

Dr. John Geisler
Dr. John Geisler
Dr. John Geisler
Gynecology - Oncology

In brief: Symptoms

With your history, family history, and persistent symptoms, you need to be worked up for ovarian or metastatic breast cancer.
See a good gyn and start with a pelvic exam (including rectovaginal), ca 125 and pelvic ultrasound. If all of this is normal, then a ct of abdomen/pelvis should be done. If these symptoms are solved, the you should be counseled regarding prophylactic surgery.

In brief: Symptoms

Dr. John Geisler
Dr. John Geisler
Dr. Adam Levy