How dangerous is breast cancer?

Variable. Although never trivial, mammographically detected breast cancer, if small and estrogen receptor positive has a very good prognosis with relatively minor surgery and radiation. Conversely, inflammatory breast cancer with positive nodes has an extremely poor prognosis without very aggressive treatment. Most bc's are in the middle with a relatively favorable prognosis.
It Varies. Breast cancer is really many different diseases which vary based upon its unique molecular "fingerprint". Survival is dependent upon our ability to eradicate breast cancer cells that may have spread from the breast to vital organs (lungs, liver, bone etc). While chemotherapy isn't always effective, we have made tremendous advances over the past decade and expect more to follow.
Depends on stage. Breast cancer can be a very serious disease. Survival is dependent on the stage of the cancer.