Can I go to a genetic counselor to see if I have familial hypercholesterolemia?

Physician is better. Genetic counselors are master's trained individuals trained to collect and interpret family histories but with little clinical experience. You should see your family practitioner or internist and have a lipid profile. Familial hypercholesterolemia would be indicated by a very high cholesterol, and your family history may show other people with early heart attacks/strokes who need lipid studies.
Better = Lipid Doc. A better suggestion would be to go to a lipid specialist. There are two general ways to figure it out: 1.) check genetics. This is often expensive, but can be done. 2.) check your families cholesterol. If everyone has high cholesterol, that cinches the diagnosis treatment is the same regardless of whether there is a genetic mutation.