At what age can I test to see if I am a carrier for sickle cell anemia?

Dr. Ira Salafsky
Clinical Genetics

In brief: Late teens

Carrier testing should only be done in persons who can give intelligent informed consent.
Young children should not be tested. Older teens who can give meaningful consent may be tested.

In brief: Late teens

Dr. Ira Salafsky
Dr. Ira Salafsky
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Age of consent

You can be tested for this at any age.
Your parents can consent if you are below personal age for consent or you can do it if you are over that age. It is a minor, invasive blood test with no risks. You can guess at your changes if you know the status of other family members.

In brief: Age of consent

You can be tested for this at any age.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Yash Khanna
All babies in US are tested at birth for certain conditions and Sickle cell is one of them.If the test is positive then a confirmative test is done to find the exact sickle cell condition,which tells us if you are carrier or have the disease.But the test can be done at any age,it is a simple screening test and if positive tells you you may be a carrier of the sickle gene