Will I need to have an episiotomy with an assisted delivery?

Dr. Daniel Lee

In brief: Not usually

I don't know why you are planning on having an assisted vaginal delivery.
There are a few fetal and maternal medical conditions that lead a physician to perform a vacuum or forceps delivery. Whether you are going to have an episiotomy depends on many factors including your anatomy and fetal heart rate.

In brief: Not usually

Dr. Daniel Lee
Dr. Daniel Lee
Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: Not necessarily

It depends on the size of the baby and the reasons for doing the assisted delivery.
Sometimes you don't need an episiotomy, sometimes you do. Often that decision is made at the time of the assisted delivery.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Jane Van Dis